After an accident or medical issue how do you or a loved one know if one is able to safely operate a motor vehicle? Perhaps you are no longer feeling as confident behind the wheel but don’t want to lose your independence. Or you have not had the opportunity to explore if driving as a wheelchair user is an option for you. A driver evaluation will help lay out the risks of driving currently and present options to gain, regain, or maintain your driving independence. There are many organizations near Rochester and Syracuse, NY that have trained driving evaluators who will assess an individual's needs, recommend additional or adaptable equipment, and provide drivers training if necessary. Here are a few steps to that may be taken to regain or retain your driving independence:
- Talk to your doctor to get a referral for a drivers evaluation. Not every drivers evaluation center requires this, but it can be handy to have a referral.
- Locate your closest driver evaluation center near Rochester or Syracuse, NY, if you are a Veteran be sure to check with your local VA Medical Center.
- Meet with a driver evaluator for a consultation. A driver evaluator will find what will work best for your needs, provide training, and write up a referral for the equipment that will inform your local mobility dealer of the specific needs. Here are a few types of equipment you may go over, this is a very simple list there are many high tech driving devices in the industry that allow for nearly anyone to safely operate a vehicle.
- Left Foot Accelerator-will relocate the accelerator pedal to the left of the brake
- Hand Controls and Steering devices-allows an individual to operate the accelerator and brake with their left or right hand, steering devices allow for ease and flow in steering a vehicle
- Reduced Power Steering/Braking-allows for extremely easy steering and braking of the vehicle
- Touch Pad Controls-these allow for operation of many vehicle features with the touch of a button
- Contact Agor Enterprises in Rochester or Syracuse, NY to discuss the mobility needs and any options they may have. Agor Enterprises will be able to use their expertise to help you find a wheelchair accessible van, truck, or suv. As well as what equipment may help to adapt your current vehicle, such as a transfer seat or wheelchair or scooter lift.
- Once all the information gathering is done Agor Enterprises will provide you with a quote and can have their certified technicians install the equipment! Then you’re ready to hit the road! Well, almost. There’s one last step...
- Depending on an individual's situation you may no longer have a valid driver's license for your state and if your license is still valid you may be obligated to add some new endorsements. These rules and regulations vary from state-to-state and year-to-year, you will want to check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles Driving Evaluation Center (one who administers a road test) to see if the new adaptable equipment needs to be on your driver's license. Very similar to glasses being listed on a driver's license.
Regardless of what your mobility needs are there are many solutions to make your world as accessible as possible, more keep coming out everyday. Agor Enterprises in Rochester and Syracuse, NY are here to help find the best solution to meet your mobility needs. Whether you need a wheelchair accessible van, truck, or suv, or installing equipment to make your current vehicle meet your needs.
Driver Evaluation in Rochester & Syracuse New York
Rochester Rehab (DriveOn)
Location: 1000 Elmwood Ave, Rochester, NY 14620
Upstate Medical Center
Location: 750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315 464-6543
Upstate Medical Center
Location: 505 Irving Ave, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 316 464-6543
Bugow's Driver Rehab
Location: 2700 Bellevue Ave, Syracuse, NY 13219
Contact: Dan Bugow - firstname.lastname@example.org
FLX Driver Rehab
Location: 4144 High Banks Road, Geneva, NY 14456
AAA-West Central NY
Phone: (800) 836-2582
Buffalo Therapy Services
Location: 705 Maple Road, Williamsville, NY 14221
Contact: Kim Cunningham - Kimberly.Cunningham2@va.gov
Phone: (716) 580-7360
Location: 462 Grider St, Buffalo, NY 14215
Syracuse VA Medical Center
Location: 800 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210
Canandaigua VA Medical Center
Location: 465 Westfall Road, Rochester, NY 14620
Get Started With A Driver Evaluation in New York Whether this is your first time looking for a wheelchair accessible vehicle or mobility equipment or you are just looking to get into something different based on your needs, Agor Enterprises can help! There are many options available to make getti...