Agor Enterprises Mobility Blog

Disabled Veterans Associated Programs for Handicap Van Funding

Posted by Lindsay Agor

Jul 11, 2011 9:13:00 AM


If you are a Disabled Veteran who has been injured either during service or has a non-service related injury and you are trying to receive funding for adaptive equipment such as a handicap van or to convert an existing vehicle into a wheelchair accessible van, here are some resources that may be able to assist you in your process of finding grants or basic funding for adaptive equipment.

Driver Rehabilitation (Driver Rehab)
Driver Rehabilitation is a program that can help Disabled Veterans learn to drive again. The ADED recommends an evaluation for adapted driving. If you undergo driving rehabilitation, you can be eligible to get a prescription for wheelchair van conversions and adaptive vehicle modifications that best fit your needs.  Veterans can then take this vehicle prescription and more easily apply for a grant through other sources, or it can be used with the wheelchair van company to know which hand controls or mobility equipment is needed.  Through the driver rehabilitation program, a disabled veteran’s vehicle can also be fitted with a variety of adaptive equipment from strategically placed mirrors, to digital steering devices for amputees.

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR&E, Chapter 31, Voc-Rehab)
Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans and Employment (VR&E) Program, sometimes referred to as Chapter 31 or Voc-Rehab, helps disabled veterans with service-connected disabilities and employment handicaps prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. If you are needing adaptive equipment to re-enter the work force they may be able to help you with vehicle funding. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, Vocational Rehab (VR&E) offers services to improve Disabled Veteran’s ability to live as independently as possible.

Paralyzed Veterans of America - Veterans Benefits Department
Veterans with a spinal cord injury, as well as other veterans needing assistance with understanding their VA benefits, entitlements, medical care and other benefits, often rely on Paralyzed Veterans of America’s (PVA) Veterans Benefits Department (VBD). The VBD staff can assist you with program understanding and advocacy towards getting funding for adaptive equipment.

Topics: Handicap Van Funding, Financing and Grants

Subscribe to Email Updates

Browse our pre-owned conversion vans

Browse our conversion vans under $20,000