Tips on Buying Auto Insurance for Wheelchair Vans
Are you a safe driver? Discount! Are you married? Discount! Is your vehicle modified in any way? Oops. Modified vehicles send up red flags to insurance companies. They automatically link “modified” with activities like street racing, and can then legally hike premiums or deny coverage.
Make sure your company knows the modifications are due to disabilities and they understand the insurance is for the vehicle and the conversion components, plus coverage for replacement costs.
Shop around to get the best price.
According to The Hartford Financial Services Group, "Insuring a significantly modified vehicle, which increases the value of the vehicle, will cost more than the same non-modified vehicle, if the modifications are insured for physical damage -- comprehensive and collision coverage. Liability coverage is not affected by vehicle modifications. If the modifications are not insured, premium will not be impacted."
Modifications are not the only factors that influence premiums.
- Gender: Younger men pay more, as they tend to drive more aggressively and take more risks than females.
- Age: Young drivers in general pay more (a lot more) until they turn 21 (sometimes 25) and then rates increase again when they become seniors.
- Marital status: Single people pay more as they are more accident prone than married couples.
- Driving record: Tickets and/or accidents drive premiums higher.
- Type of vehicle: More expensive cars cost more to repair and that jacks up premiums.
- Education: (1) Lower premiums by taking a defensive driving class and sending a copy of the certificate to your insurance company. (2) College and high school students receive discounts by maintaining a high GPA. (3) College grads pay lower premiums than those with less education.
- Credit score: If you pay bills on time, you’re less likely to file an insurance claim, so your premiums are lower.
- Occupation: The more stressful your occupation and/or the more time you spend driving means higher premiums.
- Your location: Urban areas increase your premiums, as accidents and auto theft are much lower in rural areas. However, even moving 2 miles can possibly raise your insurance.
- Safety equipment: Candidates for lower rates include anti-theft devices, front and side airbags and an onboard service like OnStar and others.
- Organizations: Ask about discounts for organizations to which you belong, including military, senior organizations, etc.
Agor Enterprises provides and designs vehicle and in home mobility solutions making the world accessible for people with disabilities. Agor Enterprises is a member of NMEDA and is QAP certified. Agor Enterprises is committed to providing the highest standard of safety and service in the industry. Built on the principal that dedication, service to the customer, and quality are paramount in running a successful business, Agor Enterprises continues to be a leader in customized solutions for the physically challenged. Agor Enterprises has also equipped golf carts, lawn mowers, tractors, and houses with various adaptive devices. We continue to welcome challenges to provide solutions that enable independence.